Sometimes big is best and when it comes to longevity, this machine is tough to beat.
I wasn’t born when this machine was made, but good quality designs and engineering foresight, means that new parts fit retrospectively. Why aren’t all machines made this way?
Make and model: Nilfisk GM80 (large)
Fault reported: Poor running
Cost of replacement: £600-800 (approx.)
Manufacturer support: 8/10
Cost of parts: £14.94, inc. carriage
Hours spent on repair: 1.5 hours
Tools needed: Screwdrivers, test meter, soap and water etc
Sundry items: Silicone spray, WD-40, cleaning materials, wire wool
Repair difficulty: 3/10
Cups of coffee: X1
Biscuits: X2 Chocolate Hobnobs (that don’t dunk that well in coffee, truth be told)
Recently, I got the opportunity to tackle an industrial vacuum cleaner in need of a proper service, which had been in continual use since the late 1960’s. Judging by the condition it was in when I first received it in the workshop, I doubt that some parts of the machine had received any care since its first day at work.
The machine in question is a Nilfisk GM80 (large). It’s a ‘large’ as it has a milk-churn sized base to it, which means it can swallow a lot of dust. The large base has long been discontinued, but you can still buy the current smaller base, should yours be damaged. Indeed, the Nilfisk GM80 range of vacuum cleaners are all quite modular and feature different levels of filtration, depending on the specific environment they are put to use in. This means you can easily swap parts from donor machines to keep older machines going. The design means that parts seldom go obsolete, new parts just get improved and fit older models. Great news for sustainability.
Back to the machine in question. It had been covered for many years under a service contract, but for whatever reason, that company were no longer taking quite as much time as they should and applying as much care with each inspection. This ‘serviced’ machine had recently had a new motor (hence later model motor housing) but the basics of vacuum principles had been overlooked.
I won’t go into the repair blow-by-blow, so here’s a summary of the work completed:
- clean of all rubber seals and mating surfaces, essential to avoid air leaks
- check and adjust all housing clips and adjust as necessary (all of them in this case)
- wash motor diffuser (this had been changed within the last year)
- wash main cotton filter (this had never been done, it was so clogged)
- wash motor intake filter
- check condition of motor brushes and bearing end-float (all fine)
- check and tighten electrical IEC connection
- inspect flex for damage (all OK)
The previous service agent had stated that the damaged hose (original 1960’s rubber item) was now unavailable and that a replacement was impossible. Impossible eh? That’s two letters too long.
Upon taking the old hose connectors apart (and removing layers of gaffer tape), I discovered that the internal diameter was similar to a Nilfisk-to-Numatic aftermarket adaptor and with a little adjustment, this 1960’s Nilfisk machine could be made compatible with Numatic’s vacuum cleaner hose design, which is much more abundant, here in the UK. So, with a little jiggery pokery, this machine is ready to work for its living, once again, with a shiny new hose.
So yet again, when an ‘expert’ tells you that something cannot be repaired, don’t necessarily take their word for it. A second opinion can sometimes save you time and money.
The repair didn’t break the bank either and I have since taken on more machine service work for this organisation.