We were very lucky to be given a ‘micro style’ JD Bug scooter for one of the kids, by a kind neighbour. It features mini wheels, a solid metal foldable frame, which makes for easy portability and height adjustable handles. It’s easy to see why loads of kids have these scooters as they’re easy to ride and very manoeuvrable.
This one had been well used, but had been kept clean and tidy. However, before issuing it to the child concerned, it needed a few ‘bugs’ addressing.
First and foremost was the wheels. Both wheels are fitted with standard skateboard bearings (a total of four). Both wheels were noisy and tight when spun, which would affect speed and handling of the scooter. Now, I might eventually change the bearings as they’re pretty cheap and easy to obtain, but for now, I just removed the wheels, popped out the bearings and regreased them, once I’d removed the dust cover. Refitted, they sounded much better.
Next was the frame and the locking mechanism. It was rattly and weighward which again would have affected handling. After a light application of spray white grease and a small adjustment to the lock, the frame was much more rigid.
The last thing was the headstock, which is similar to those found on a bicycle. This one sounded hideous and clearly had no lubrication whatsoever. Again, access was straightforward and just involved basic tools, although I did have to dig out my 36mm spanner- serious stuff. Just a couple of pinch clamps and two locking nuts held the headstock together and after a clean up with penetrating oil, an oily rag and some new grease, it was as good as new.
So after some light TLC, this scooter was ready for another child to enjoy, for little cash.
Cost of replacement: £40.00 Cost of repair: Some oil, grease and a bit of fettling, one cuppa.